1 steering mechanism for a vessel; a mechanical device by which a vessel is steered
2 a position of leadership; "the President is at the helm of the Ship of State"
- , /helm/, /helm/
- Rhymes: -ɛlm
Etymology 1helma, from khelman = "handle"
steering apparatus of a ship
- To be a helmsman or a member of the helm; to be in charge of steering the boat.
Etymology 2Old English helm, Common Germanic *helmo-z, from PIE *kelmo-s.
- A helmet.
EtymologyCommon Germanic *helmaz
EtymologyCommon Germanic *helmoz
Old High German
Helm may refer to:
- Helm Wulfingum, Geatish king
- Anne Helm (born 1938), Canadian actress
- Brigitte Helm (1908–1996), German actress
- James Meredith Helm (1855–1927), American naval officer
- John L. Helm (1802–1867), governor of Kentucky
- Leonard Helm (c.1720–1782), American soldier
- Levon Helm (born 1940), American rock drummer
- Michael Helm, Canadian novelist
- Rüdiger Helm (see Canoeing at the 1980 Summer Olympics)
- Stacy Helm (curler, see Stefanie Lawton)
- Theodor Helm (musicologist, see Joseph de Marliave)
- Christopher Helm, a Scottish book publisher, notably of ornithology related titles, including the Helm Identification Guides
- Helm (Forgotten Realms), a god in the Forgotten Realms
- Helm Hammerhand, 9th King of Rohan in The Lord of the Rings
- Helm's Deep, a valley in Rohan in The Lord of the Rings
- Matt Helm, a character created by Donald Hamilton
- Hideout Helm, the final level in Donkey Kong 64
- Helm, a character from the 2000AD comic strip Rogue Trooper
helm in German: Helm (Begriffsklärung)
helm in Dutch: Helm
helm in Polish: Koło sterowe
automatic pilot, bench, chair, chairmanship, chart a course, claws, clutches, command, cond, conn, control, coxswain, curule chair, dais, direct, directorship, domination, dominion, grasp, grip, gripe, guide, gyroscopic pilot, hand, handle, hands, have the conn, hold, iron hand, jurisdiction, leadership, lever pilot, manage, mastership, mastery, navigate, operate, pilot, power, presidency, reins, reins of government, rudder, rule, run, saddle, seat, seat of power, seat of state, shape a course, steer, talons, tiller, weather helm, wheel, woolsack